Sunday 6 August 2017

The One by John Marrs


Published 4th May 2017

Book description:
How far would you go to find THE ONE?
One simple mouth swab is all it takes. A quick DNA test to find your perfect partner – the one you’re genetically made for.
A decade after scientists discover everyone has a gene they share with just one other person, millions have taken the test, desperate to find true love. Now, five more people meet their Match. But even soul mates have secrets. And some are more shocking – and deadlier – than others...
A psychological thriller with a difference, this is a truly unique novel which is guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat.

My Review:
I had passed over this book on a previous trip to the library as I don’t think I appreciated what it was about.  It’s definitely not a slushy love story about finding your happy ever after but a very interesting look at what could happen if there was a scientific test to check if your DNA matches with another person.
The author grabbed my attention in spectacular fashion right from the first (okay, second) chapter.  I sat with an open mouth at this point, having had a total curve ball delivered in print.  I was wondering where on earth the rest of the book was going to go having exposed such a big plotline so early on, but with such a bombshell delivered I was excited to know that there was so much more to tell.
The story follows 5 DNA matched couples, all from completely different backgrounds and locations as they decide whether to find their match and if so whether they do indeed find their forever partner.  Their stories are as diverse as their reasons for having taken the test in the first place and the author has a writing style which made me consider whether I would make the same decisions if that were me and if not, why?
I did wonder early on whether I would be able to keep track of all the characters but the chapters are headed with the name of the character from whose point of view we are seeing things from, and the situations are so diverse that even without the headings it is clear who the narrator is.  Every character has their flaws but this just serves to make them more relatable and each of them was well constructed and credible. Without giving anything away, there was only one person who I felt no sympathy towards; the others I could put myself in their shoes and maybe understand why they acted as they did, even if I wouldn’t necessarily agree with their actions. 
I love the concept of this book, and I think the author has handled a lot of sensitive issues extremely well.  As a book club read there are some very controversial subjects to cover which could lead to some interesting discussions. The message I have been left with at the end of this novel is that just because science tells you that something is perfect, we as humans are certainly not.
In my opinion, a 5 star read.

No comments:

Post a Comment