Sunday 20 August 2017

What has caught my eye this week


This week I have been adding to my TBR shelf like it’s going out of fashion.  Some titles have come up on my Netgalley account and I have been extremely excited to be approved for, others I have been unsuccessful in my request and have been looking out avidly for them as publication dates have arrived. Last but not least are the ones which I have seen other bloggers talking about and I am really keen to read, purely for my own reading pleasure. Here are a few of the titles which have made my list (this is not a complete list, by all means as I am sure all of you will understand!)







Friend request by Laura Marshall (out now)
This had been on my radar for some time, with many reviewers saying what a good read it is. Nearly 30 years after their schooldays Louise receives a friend request on Facebook from someone she would rather stay in the past.  I find the idea of this intriguing and want to know all about the seemingly dark connection between Louise and Maria. After waiting seemingly ages for my library reservation to come in, I was delighted to discover this as a 99p promotion via kindle so downloaded it there and then.  A matter of hours later I received notification that my reservation had arrived at the library – TYPICAL!





When you disappeared by John Marrs (out 7 Sept 2017)
Having read John Marrs previous novel The One recently, I was delighted to receive approval for an advance copy of his new book When you disappeared which is due out early September.  Catherine wakes up one morning and finds her husband is missing from their home and assumes he has gone for an early morning run before going on to the office.  Things aren’t as they initially seem and Simon eventually returns 25 years later bringing a whole load of trouble back to Catherine’s door. Previously released under the title The Wronged Sons, this is exactly the kind of book I enjoy.


99 Red balloons by Elisabeth Carpenter (due out 24 Aug 2017)


My initial thought when I saw this one was that the cover looks good.  Then I read that it’s another missing child story, which seems a common theme at the moment following the success of I Let you go. But something about this kept niggling at me and I will be looking out for this soon.





The Choice by Samantha King (out now on kindle)
    
The concept of this book is truly scary:  Madeleine has 10 year old twins and is confronted at her front door by a someone who tells her she has to make a choice. One of her twins must die, and she is the one who must choose which one. 

How can any mother make that choice? I have downloaded this to kindle to find out what happens next.




Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh (due out 2018)


Last but by no means least on my list of stand out reads is the 4th in a series from Steve Cavanagh that features Eddie Flynn.  I am actually pleased that this isn’t out til next year as it gives me plenty of time to catch up on the others in the series.  The cover and tagline grabbed me straight off the screen: “The serial killer isn’t on trial. He’s on the jury.”  What more could I possibly need to know about this book before I read it? I have this in my diary for next year already!



I think you will agree with me that there are some great reads out there and coming soon.  I hope I have given you some ideas of what to read – although looking back over them now I notice they are all of a similar genre.  I will try and find something lighter for you next time!










No comments:

Post a Comment