Saturday 30 September 2017

Book Review: Don't Wake Up by Liz Lawler

Publication date: 5th October 2017
Book description:
Alex Taylor wakes up tied to an operating table.

The man who stands over her isn't a doctor.

The offer he makes her is utterly unspeakable.

But when Alex re-awakens, she's unharmed - and no one believes her horrifying story. Ostracised by her colleagues, her family and her partner, she begins to wonder if she really is losing her mind.

And then she meets the next victim.

So compulsive you can't stop reading.

So chilling you won't stop talking about it.

A pitch-black and devastatingly original psychological thriller.
My thoughts:
The author introduces us to the main character Dr Alex Taylor as she lies drugged on an operating table – hence the title.  She is being held captive by an unknown abductor who is threatening to do unmentionable things to her.  The next we know she is found in the hospital car park and no one will believe what she is saying has happened to her – including her boyfriend and her colleagues.
The events of the following weeks get more and more confusing for Alex and she seriously starts to question her sanity.  If we are to believe her, there are a few characters who could be considered as her assailant but I found a couple of them to be rather too obvious.  The police clearly do not believe her, with only one of the detectives curious enough to even entertain her story but even he wonders whether his interest in the doctor is on more of a personal level than professional.
The discovery of a body in suspicious circumstances at the hospital is a pivotal moment for the storyline and the tension cranks up several notches as the author begins the big reveal. The suspense builds steadily throughout the book and I really sympathised with Dr Taylor throughout as she tried to convince various friends and colleagues that she hadn’t dreamt up the horrors she described.  I enjoyed the back story of the detectives lives and how this influenced the management of the case being investigated. The plot comes to a very satisfactory conclusion and I do hope we see a sequel to this story as I feel these characters have so much more to offer.
My only negative thought throughout the whole story is that in my experience the Mini doesn’t have a spare wheel - it has run-flat tyres – and I found this quite off-putting when reading one part of the story as I found myself wondering more about that than the awful events which had just happened. I know this is a very trivial observation on my part and I could well be wrong, however it did have me questioning whether it might be relevant in the detectives’ investigation. Crazy where the mind goes when you’re trying to work out the plot!
An excellent suspenseful thriller which I thoroughly enjoyed, I will definitely be watching for future work from this author.

My thanks go to Netgalley and publisher Bonnier Zaffre/Twenty7 for the ARC copy of this title in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment