Wednesday 20 September 2017

Book review: Keep you safe by Melissa Hill


Publication date: 21st September 2017

Book Description:
A mother always knows best. Doesn’t she?
What if your choice for your child could harm someone else’s?
Every mother faces impossible choices. Vaccination is one of the hardest. For single mum Kate O’Hara, there was no decision to make. Her daughter Rosie is one of a small percentage of Irish children who can’t be vaccinated against measles. All Kate can do is hope that her little girl is safe.
For mummy blogger Madeleine Cooper, it was a leap of faith she wasn't prepared to take when she and her husband declined controversial measles jabs for their daughter Clara. All she can do is pray that it’s the right decision.
But when classmates Clara and Rosie both become sick will Kate pay for Madeleine’s choice?
A stunning and addictive new book club read from beloved bestselling Irish author Melissa Hill that explores every mother’s worst fear

My thoughts:
This story from Melissa Hill will strike a chord with any parent: which poses the greater risk, the vaccine or the disease you are aiming to protect them from?  Mums Kate and Madeleine have completely different reasons for not vaccinating their girls, but both have to face facts when the two girls are struck by measles.  I liked the characters of both of the mums, Kate being a hardworking widow striving to provide the best for her daughter after losing her husband suddenly and mad mum blogger Madeleine who has a much more laid back approach to life. I don’t know why, but reading Madeleine’s part in the story I found that she reminded me of Marian Keyes with her witty one liners and brand of Irish humour. I found myself rooting for Kate and Rosie for the vast majority of the story as I am sure many others will too however once we start to see the public façade of Madeleine crack and see her more vulnerable side my heart went out to her.  I really disliked her husband Tom throughout the whole book as I found him to be arrogant and self centred – traits which I similarly tarred Madeleine with at first. 
Once we reach the court room scenes we start to understand why the Coopers made the decision they did and I thought the scenes where Madeleine takes the witness stand were very emotionally charged. I was so pleased when after many months she finally finds the courage to speak from the heart rather than trying to tick the boxes her solicitor was instructing her to with her answers. I won’t give away the outcome of the story but suffice to say I was happy that the two mothers were able to understand the other’s decision not to vaccinate their children and were able make their peace even though things would never be the same between them.
A very realistic story with everyday people making the decisions that every parent agonises over – and scenarios which make you think about what can happen if things go horribly wrong.
I would definitely recommend this book, especially to parents who have indeed had to make this very same decision themselves.

My thanks to the publisher, HQ, and Netgalley for an advance review copy of this book in return for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment